So you’ve decided to throw your workout into hyper drive. Great! Legends such as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dwayne the Rock Johnson smile proudly from upon their lofty perches in the annals of Valhalla. Yet what protein powders will help you get there? What are the best protein powders for bulking up? More importantly are protein powders even safe for you to consume? Never fear young, apprentice in the art of iron pumping, we at total optimized male have got your back. I will answer these, and more questions about the alchemical science of protein powders.
When did protein powders come onto the scene?
It all goes back to the ancient age of body building. The 1950’s. You see, back then body building was still considered a somewhat of a sub-culture. A body builder by the name of Bobby Hoffman created Hi-Proteen, and was marketed as the first protein powders for body builders. It had an awful aftertaste that was reminiscent of a cow who had just recovered from a three week stint of tuberculosis, and the stuff tried masking this awful taste, by adding loads of artificial sweeteners. There wasn’t really much research done on amino acids, muscle recovery, and nitrogen carrying oxygen glutamine to the muscles for repair back in that day. Hence, this protein powder was sold as a cheap source of raw building block material for gains.
We’ve come a long way since the cheap raw building block compounded with half a ton of sweetener. Nowadays, protein powders come in all varieties. From Vegan protein, to vegetable protein and everything in between.
So what are the best protein powders for bulking up?
I am in no way a spokesman for this proteins but I have tried 4 out of the 5 of them and will give you the best results that I’ve had with them in conjunction with the highest rated protein powders out there.
The best protein powder on the market in my opinion for bulking is the Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder. With a whopping 50 grams per serving, this protein powder coupled with glutamine (quicker muscle recovery) will get you on the fast track to building bulky, powerful muscles. Along with a proper diet and exercise routine, you will be well on your way to bigger mass in 3 weeks or less. Of course this is also dependant on factors such as workout intensity, diet, and prohibition of sugars and alcohol. This is my personal favorite protein powder because I have seen the best results on it, check out my before and after picture. As you can see in 6 weeks, I went from a fat 176 to a bulky yet lean look of 155. I lost a lot of fat, and replace the mass with muscle.
About this protein powder:
- High Calorie Weight Gainer: 1,250 Calories per 2-Scoop Serving
- 50 Grams of Protein per Serving
- 25 Vitamins & Minerals Plus Creatine & Glutamine
- Using an Electric Blender to Add Fresh or Frozen Fruits, Peanut Butter, Nuts & Other Calorie Dense Foods to Boost Your Weight Gain Potential
Another great protein powder for bulking is the BSN TRUE-MASS Weight Gainer, Muscle Mass Gainer Protein and though I did see results, after upping the weights and reps of my workout, they were hardly noticeable, and after two weeks I switched to another powder. However I must admit it had great taste, and I only gave it two weeks time, definitely not enough to see noticeable results. I will definitely go back to trying this one at a later time because:
About this protein powder:
- Ultra-premium super mass gainer
- Over 1200 calories per serving
- 50 grams of multi-source protein per serving
- 215 grams of carbohydrates per serving, primarily rolled oats
- BCAAs and other essential and non-essential amino acids
As you can see it has BCAA’s and other essential amino acids. These help in providing your body with actual non synthetic acids that it needs for muscle growth and development.
This protein powder is for the body builder that is more conscious of what goes into their bodies. The claim is that they use the finest ingredients, ethically harvested from grass fed cows. No synthetic additives, no sugar, and no hormones (rBGH/rBST) or antibiotics. A great tasting protein powder, especially the cafe mocha, which happens to be the only flavor that I personally tried. Nonetheless, the niche market that it occupies is that it delivers quality ingredients. You maybe paying the same price for a mass gainer twice its size, but you can be sure there are no harmful ingredients in this one, which puts it at number 3 on our list.
- Certified Hormone (rBGH/rBST) free, 24 g of grass-fed protein per serving from happy, healthy, humanely-treated, pasture-raised cows.
- Made only with the finest natural ingredients; no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. Soy- and gluten-free formula and non-GMO. Independent laboratory testing ensures potency and purity. GMP quality assured. Contains milk-derived ingredients (e.g., whey).
- Time-released four-protein powder blend, including whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, and micellar casein, to keep you satisfied for hours.
- Contains a new breakthrough enzyme blend ProHydrolase® that has been shown to more than double protein absorption over other products while eliminating the gas and bloating commonly experienced with whey protein powder supplements.
- Over 2.1 million containers sold. It’s not the cheapest, it’s simply the best!
What do you think? Did we nail it? Comment and share this post on facebook and mention your preferred protein powder, for a chance to win that it absolutely free!